Just another ex-expatriate adjusting.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

An Anniversary

How strange.

A year since I returned, with life still little different. I don't feel any more integrated here than I did when I got back. It was easy getting in the swing of things at first but now...

I left the States for so many reasons, which I won't get into. One of them was to feel like I'm integrated into a body politic. But I suppose it was never that simple; that I never can be a "real" Singaporean. Few circumstances in my current existence are available to most people, like the job or the Singapore exit strategy.

So now what? Quo vado? I don't know, but it's time to change. I need to step up the job, the gym and the hunt.

It's fitting that on my anniversary though, I saw Singapore Dreaming's premiere. It was excellent, just truly excellent. It drips authenticity, every last inch of it. It is as Singaporean a movie as a movie can be. Colin has done a truly brilliant job.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Gym?

Urm... really?

Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:06:00 AM

 
Blogger Will said...

is this the end of your contact in Singapore then?

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 2:57:00 AM

 
Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I remember Big Yeoh was so taken with 'I'm not stupid'.

I'm not surprised that he is taken with this one too.

He seems to be suffering from the 'I miss Singapore and I need to find my identity' syndrome found in a large number of Singaporean who lived overseas for a while. Thus, his identification with, for instance, Neo's stuff.... ACK.

Friday, April 21, 2006 9:26:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home