Just another ex-expatriate adjusting.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

A New Drug

I have an addiction.

Not quite like
this guy, who for all his visible intelligence doesn't have a functioning work/play separation. I do have a S$30-a-day habit though, which isn't a sustainable one in the long term. When I'm not indulging, I feel this emptiness, this constant longing for a fix that is even stronger than my cigarettes. The urge is especially strong during meal times. The worst part is that the containers for my drug build up everywhere, and are scattered all over the house.

Today, I went like a good Singaporean to get a new subsidised fix from the government at this place.



The entry is so beautifully sterile. It still feels like an architect's concept art.


Technology is everywhere, from the account kiosks


to book returns!



There are even automated proximity sensor stations for checkout, but I didn't want to take photos due to the long queues. Perhaps this is not surprising to those living in Singapore but after so long in New York, the promiscuous technology is stunning.


I went to the Pod at the top on Monday to listen to Robert Sawyer, Bruce Sterling and Norman Spinrad* give a talk titled "The future is already here: Is there a place for science fiction in the 21st century?". The view from the Pod of the Singapore skyline was Blade Runner with less neon.

Whenever I need another fix of my methadone-equivalent, you'll find me here.

*In reverse order of interest. Not to say that I don't like Bob Sawyer, but I certainly think that Norman Spinrad was the most interesting, followed closely by Bruce Sterling (who I hope I didn't discomfit with questions at an earlier talk.) The one with the most content on his website was the least interesting. Another plug for Laconia.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou said...

From your link, I visited Spinrad's website and was not surprised at the difficulty he has in the publishing world of today. In a sense, he is a 'forgotten' SF writer. There is little public-consciousness of his work today. ie He is not 'marketable'.

Sunday, September 04, 2005 9:48:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home